The Hartford Banner

The Hartford Banner


This Page represents a history of Hartford in the form of a timeline for some of those events for which records exist. We will grow this as we add more information to the site. Can you contribute?

71    Roman occupation of Cheshire.
1086Appeared in the Domesday Book as 'Herford' - Barony of Kinderton. The barony was conferred on Gilbert de Venables by Hugh Lupus shortly after the Norman conquest. Hugh was the first Earl of Chester and a nephew of William the Conqueror.

1644Civil War Battle at Hartford.
1659Civil War skirmish before the Battle of Winnington Bridge.

1795Start of the enclosure of waste lands.

1824Original St John's Church consecrated (As a "Chapel of Ease" to the Parish of Witton-cum-Twambrooks).
1833Original Methodist Chapel built (Wesleyan).
1833National School built by subscription and a grant of £30 from the National Society.
1837Hartford Railway Station opened on the new Grand Junction Railway.
1840Completion of enclosure.
1846Grand Junction Railway merged to become part of the London & North Western Railway.
1863New Parish of St John Hartford constituted.
1875Present St John's Church consecrated.
1887Tower added to St John's Church.
1889National School (mixed) rebuilt for 300 children.
1891Present Methodist Chapel built.
1897Ring of six bells added to St John's Church.
1920War Memorial erected.

The opening of Hartford’s Recreation Club (now the Village Hall and adjacent land)

Church Hall built.
1938Grange Kindergarten Built.
1938'Blue Bridge' built to replace old stone single span bridge.
1944British Albemarle bomber crashed opposite the shops killing all but one of the crew.
1988Hartford twinned with Mornant, France.
1998Marshall's Arm declared a Local Nature Reserve.
1998St John's Church extension opened.

2011New Church Hall opened